THE PADDY BORT FUND
Dateline: Thursday 26 November 2020
In February 2017 EFC's widely respected chair, Eberhardt "Paddy" Bort died suddenly (pic right). The club ran a fund raising concert in Paddy's memory in June 2017 and created the Paddy Bort Fund (PBF) from the concert's profits. The sole intention of the PBF is to provide financial support to professional folk performers who may be in financial difficulties through no fault of their own.
The continuing COVID-19 crisis means that this fund has become more necessary as time passes. Many, many professional folk musicians are being severely hit as a result of the pandemic.
Those of us who have an interest in the well-being of professional folk performers need to help support those who give us all so much pleasure and entertainment in normal times.
Initially in mid-2020 when we began publishing Carry On Streamin, we set out to raise £10 000 (or more). That was realised by about mid-September 2020. It's nearly all been spent now (end of October 2020).
So, once again, we've set another £10 000 target. We're appealing to the folk fans and our friends out there across the world to contribute.
We are of course stepping up our own direct fund-raising efforts ...
- Our crowdfunding page on GoFundMe opened on Tuesday 4 November 2020 to receive your donations.
- Volume 1 of the Edinburgh Folk Club CD is now on sale by download only from Bandcamp.
- We're discussing Volume 2 of the Edinburgh Folk Club CD which will be available by download only from Bandcamp (most probably). We don't have a release date yet but you can bet you'll hear about it when we have it ready!
- Alastair MacDonald, one of Scotland's great folk performers who has been on the scene since the 1960s, has produced single handedly a CD of the songs of Dominic Behan with the title, "Paddy's Choice" (geddit?) and donated it to us. All proceeds from its sales on Bandcamp come to the Paddy Bort Fund.
- An illustrated book of folk songs with an accompanying CD is in preparation by our great Geordie folk singing friend, Jed Grimes, who also happens to be a graphic artist. This will be sold to the general public but it will also have a place in the educational market place as well.
- Already the fund is benefiting thanks to Edinburgh FC members Allan and Rosemary McMillan from the sale of their book of daily verses written during the lockdown in the first wave of the virus. See advert (right) then email Allan to purchase. Entitled, Scottish Domestic Bliss 2020 Lockdown it is published by Grace Note Publications.
- We have to thank all the performers who have donated, and continue to donate, the video tracks which go into the fortnightly Carry On Streamin video 'concert' compilation.
- Finally - at least for the time being - we're discussing with folk over in Dublin a Burns Night cooperation. This is not intended to be a fund-raiser per se but it will certainly be a great affair with people all around the world watching the festivities on Zoom.
So, while EFC may have had to close its live performances for the time being, we have most certainly not been inactive!
CARRY ON STREAMIN ... is intended to help raise money for Edinburgh FC's Paddy Bort Fund. We are publishing this on-line magazine fortnightly along with its companion video compiled using tracks donated by a range of folk acts. The magazine has news-ie snippets from 'wherever' (no borders here!), album reviews, interviews, articles of all kinds, pictures ... and anything else we feel like including. If you want to send us some content - then please do so, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
There's also of course(!) a PayPal button here to so you can donate whatever sums you like to the cause.