Experiment » Hereditary Principle

• TG
    TG Edinburgh
    Last night's act referred to one of their fathers, who is an established folksinger, and talked of a childhood in clubs and festivals (a theme often heard in theatre and popular music too). I've come across a fair few dynasties in professional folk music, and, back in the day, had to compete for bookings with those whose publicity could mention their well-known Dad or Mum. Then again, I wouldn't be singing half my repertoire if it wasn't for songs I learned at my mother's knee (and other low joints) at community and family singsongs. So … is the folk scene a wee bit nepotistic? If so, does it matter?

Last night's act referred to one of their fathers, who is an established folksinger, and talked of a childhood in clubs and festivals (a theme often heard in theatre and popular music too).

I've come across a fair few dynasties in professional folk music, and, back in the day, had to compete for bookings with those whose publicity could mention their well-known Dad or Mum.

Then again, I wouldn't be singing half my repertoire if it wasn't for songs I learned at my mother's knee (and other low joints) at community and family singsongs.

So … is the folk scene a wee bit nepotistic? If so, does it matter?

Add your message- It will be added as the newest post